26 May 2012
Four of the five new frames placed last week were already fully drawn out and being filled with honey, with the fifth frame being started. We added a super and left the remainder of the syrup on (only about 10%). Lots of grubs and bees emerging. We didn't spot any eggs or the queen this time. There were no grubs in the new frames so we must check these fully next week to ensure the queen is present and laying.
No sign of any queen cells being produced. Pete had his first sting, on the thumb. We'll keep a better eye out for them on hands in future.
I can't tell you how hard it is to walk away not knowing if the queen is still there or not. We're having to develop a whole new level of patience.